Field Breaks Art Club
On-line workshops to inspire and motivate
Botanical drawing with coloured pencils - Whelks
Friday 16th April 10:00am to 11:30am
Whenever I pick up a whelk it makes me smile - perfection in nature. In this workshop we will use coloured pencils to capture this most gorgeous treasure found on our beaches. Surprisingly tricky to draw, we will look at ways of using simple geometry to define the correct shape before using botanical illustration techniques to apply layers of colour to work up the tones and create the illustion of depth. We will also look at some other shell types, if there is time. Suitable for all abilities.
Please have a look at this list and collect these items together for the start of each workshop. Please make sure your workspace is comfortable enough to view your computer screen as well as your drawing board/easel etc, if you intend to join in with the workshop.
- Any smooth cartridge-type drawing paper or card you have to hand
- An HB or F graphite pencil
- Coloured pencils - any colours you have will be a help
- Putty or standard pencil eraser
- Tracing paper, or kitchen greaseproof
- A large or medium size whelk - if you do not have any of these, I will be sending a few examples for you to print
- An embossing tool or anything similar - darning needle, butter knife, small screw driver…!
- A colourless blending pencil, if you have one
- Good light to see your work
- Reading glasses, if you need them!